About the Business

CR Smith was established in 1917 by Charles Robertson Smith. Originally the company operated a paint and picture framing shop in Alloa and a glazing workshop in James Street, Dunfermline. The company carried out general glazing repairs and fitted single glazed windows. It continued to be owned and run by the Smith family until 1977, when it was bought by Gerard Eadie.

Mr Eadie had been a glazing apprentice with Fife Council before setting up his own business, Gerry Eadie Glazing Contractor, with a £50 loan from his late mother. He had bought glass from CR Smith in James Street and knew Bert Smith, Charles Smith's grandson, very well.

Just 25 at the time that he bought CR Smith, he paid £2,200 - half for the business and half for its Olivetti cash machine. He chose to keep the CR Smith name because of the sixty years heritage that went along with it. However, he recognised that the market was changing.

Location & Hours

Edinburgh

Edinburgh,
Write a Review
  • Office

    CR Smith Conservatories

  • Get Directions

    Edinburgh, Edinburgh,

  • Phone

    0800 200444

Is this your business?

Claim this business

Closed or no longer trading? Request removal

Recently Viewed Listing

Ideal Windows & Conservatories

Edinburgh, EH20 9HP

Ideal Windows and Conserv tories is a trusted and well respected family ...